Friday, November 24, 2006

Oh Canada...

I don't remember who played when I watched my first(ever) rugby game here in Wales. I remember being more interested in my foot long hot dog that I was in the game. I don't know much about rugby, nor do I particularly care, but when I heard that Wales was playing Canada I thought "Yes! I finally get to wear my cute Canada t-shirt." Canada is no leader in the sport so their 61-26 loss last Friday was no suprise. Over 70,000 people attended the match at the Millenium Stadium, about 10 of which were in support of Canada, 2 of which were Welsh hating Brits . None of us Canucks were actually there for a win, but acts of patriotism are in order from time to time, especially when you are the underdog.

So, back to my t-shirt...it is tight, it is white with red stripes down the sleeves, has 'Canada' and a number 2 in big print across the back. I like it, but I will never wear it to a rugby match again. For those of you who are ignorant about rugby like I am, one of the forward positions in rugby is called the hooker, and the hooker wears the number 2. So you can imagine the kinds of comments I was getting from the Welsh fans sitting behind me.

I had a great time with two very drunk, loud and obnoxious rugby fans (is there any other kind?) who sat behind me. They asked me at one point if Canadians were good for anything besides clubbing seals. In response I asked them they were good for anything else besides shagging sheep. So you see, I'm learning, not only about rugby but on taking the piss. No more Miss Nice Canadian.

1 Comments:

Blogger archana said...

your blog makes me really happy :)

ps, speaking of Canadians... smashpo called me tonight while enjoying a cold beer on the steps of Robarts! whaa?!

November 25, 2006 at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home